Purpose of seed certification
The purpose of seed certification is to maintain and make available to the public, through certification, high quality seeds and propagating materials of notified kind and varieties so grown and distributed as to ensure genetic identity and genetic purity. Seed Certification is also designed to achieve prescribed standards.
Certification Agency (Uttarakhand State Seed Certification Agency)
Certification shall be conducted by the Certification Agency notified under section 8 of the Seed Act, 1966.
Certified Seed Producer
Certified seed producer means a person / organization who grows or distributes certified Seed in accordance with the procedures and standards of the certification.
Eligibility Requirements for Certification of Crop Varieties
Seed for only those varieties which are notified under section 5 of the Seeds Act, 1966 shall be eligible for certification.
Classes Of Seed
Phases of Seed Certification
- Breeder Seed
- Foundation Seed –I
- Foundation Seed -II
- Certified Seed
Certification shall be completed in six phases listed as under :
- Receipt and scrutiny of application
- Verification of seed sources, class and other requirements of the seed used for raising the seed crop
- Field inspections to verify conformity to the prescribed field standards
- Supervision at post-harvest stages including processing and packing
- Seed sampling and analysis, including genetic purity test / or seed health, test , if any, in order to verify conformity to the prescribed standards and
- Grant of certificate and certification tags, tagging and sealing.